Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring!

This past weekend was filled with all sorts of spring activities.  Windows were washed, flowers were planted, house projects were contemplated, and front stoop was swept.  It was just nice to get some relief from the rain.  I'm not totally convinced that spring has completely sprung yet as it was mighty chilly today but I am so happy to have had a few nice days.

We finally bought some mulch for our flower beds.  This makes me totally ecstatic...like I am so happy that I can't do it justice on a blog.  It has been a looooong time coming.  About 3 years to be exact.  I have asked for mulch every year we have lived in this house and we never managed to get it.  When we moved in the landscaping was in pretty poor shape (not that is amazing now).  I did find a few remnants of mulch that they must have had at one time but our beds were basically just dirt.  The landscaping was "edged" with some logs just sorta thrown down and hobnobbed together.  The "retaining wall" was made of railroad ties that were totally rotting.  So with A LOT of hard work from my husband and a little hard work from me we have replaced the rotting wood with a block retaining wall, removed a couple bushes, and replaced most of the "logs" with brick edgers.  There is still more work to be done...the edgers aren't quite finished in the back and we don't like how we did them along the steps so those have to be redone but all in all it looks sooo much better.  The picture doesn't really do it justice of how bad it was looking.
If you look really close you can see the rotting railroad ties on each side of the drive and some of the logs near the steps.

So along with getting my much anticipated mulch (which looks fabulous in the beds) we also planted some flowers which look lovely I might add.

on the front step with some B-E-A-UTIFUL mulch behind it 

Flower pot which eventually found its way to the back porch!

And to finish it off George has been especially snugly and lovey lately.  He has been laughing a lot which just melts my heart.  I love him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment