Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stories

I should really, really be in bed.  But I have been wanting to post two quick George stories so I guess now is as good as time as any.

George loves the laundry basket.  Mainly because one morning there was an empty one and Dennis took George for a laundry basket ride and the thought it was the best thing ever.  Dennis takes him up and down the hall and then they do doughnuts around the living room in it.  Usually Dennis makes truck/tractor noises while he does it and sometimes George joins along.  When I fold laundry George typically tries to climb in the basket because he wants a ride so bad.

The other night I came home from work and the laundry basket was sitting in the living room.  George really wanted a ride and Dennis was working on school work - studying for a midterm.  So I decided to be cool mommy and give him the ride he so clearly wanted.  So up and down the hall we went.  George sitting proud in the basket with his tiger and mommy trying to push it fast up and down the hall and around the living room.  I want to make him happy so I am trying to do it just as good as daddy.

After a couple of laps I am getting wore out.  It isn't easy to push 22 lbs around in a clothes basket on carpet on your knees.  At first I was trying to make tractor noises but before you know instead I am huffing and puffing.  We started doing the doughnuts in the living room and I am clearly breathing hard.  I pause for a minute...the little turd starts gasping for air!  He was mimicking me!  He typically makes the vroom noises along with daddy so he thought my out of breathness was actually sound effects!  It was hysterical not to mention slightly embarrassing!

The second story occurred the same week I think.  Again Dennis was off in the office studying.  George and I were playing with some of his toys.  We started playing with this one toy that has like 5 different animals and then you do something to make each one of the animals pop up.  One of them is a button you push, one is a switch you flip forward and backwards, one is a switch side to side, one is a key you turn, and on is a thing that slides back and forth.  When you do the action it makes the little guy pop up.  George has always been able to do the plain ole button one.  He gets a kick when the animal pops up and then he puts it back down and does it over and over.  Well I knew he could figure out one of the other buttons too if he would just try but he has always ignored the other buttons.  So the switch that clicks side to side I decided he could do.  So we practiced for like 20 minutes.  I would point to the button and help him figure it out and he was flipping the animal up like a pro.  I was so proud of him.

Fast forward to the following night.  I got home from work and Dennis and George were playing in the living room like normal.  A little while later Dennis gets all excited.  He says, George, George, come over here and show mommy want you did today.  He gets the same toy and proceeds to hand it to George who hits the switch to make the little guy pop up.  George just looks at me like - mom I don't know what daddy's deal is.  Dennis was so excited.  He said "it was so amazing, George just crawled over to the toy and started making the guy pop up".  I'm like...well yeah...we practiced all night...

Poor Dennis!  But it was funny to see how excited he was thinking George just figured it out on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment