Sunday, August 28, 2011

Praise on the River

Last Sunday was Praise on the River.

Basically this is an event where several area church worship teams get together and all play music at a park.  The also have free food - hotdogs, cotton candy, popcorn, snow cones, chips, and soda - as well as games and crafts for the kids.

This year there were 4 worship bands and then they also mixed the 4 groups into combo bands.  So Dennis sang and played bass with our church and then in two different combo bands.

I was having a hard time getting a non-blurry shot.
George and I camped out to watch Dennis and we played on the swings for awhile.  My friend Joanna and her husband Kevin as well as some of their friends sat with us.  It was a very enjoyable evening listening to music and enjoying good company.

Swingin

George and his buddy.
While I fed George his friend Scottie came over and climbed into my lap and watch.  It was so cute.  He was just fascinated watching George eat.  I think he secretly wanted in on the macaroni and cheese action.

When Dennis and I first arrived for his sound check he headed over to the group while I wrangled all the crap I just had to bring with - a chair, sleeping bag, dinner for G, diaper bag, purse, travel highchair, and stroller.  I had set G in the stroller while I finished unloading and packing what I could onto the stroller.  Meanwhile this group of maybe teenagers...not sure...had pulled up and got out.  To be a little stereotypical they were an odd group kinda looked a little greasy/trashy.  They didn't look like the had necessarily arrived to attend this event.  Anyway, one of the girls stopped when they say George and went into the squealy ohh what a cute baby and then proceeded to ask if she could hold him.  The nervous mom in me was screaming no but the people pleaser wanted to be nice so I said okay but only for a minute.  So she held him and was all oh he is so cute and blah blah blah - I couldn't really listen because all I was thinking was don't drop him or run away with him or otherwise make me kick myself for saying you could hold him.

So she holds him.  Her two friends - one looks like a younger girl and then a guy are standing there clearly not as interested.  Then she looks at me and says - I'm gonna have one of these you know.  and I'm thinking yeah - probably the majority of girls do eventually have kids. so I just sorta nod.  She is like Yep, I'm gonna have one in a couple months.  I was stunned...what do you say...Congrats?  I mean she barely looked 17.  And her friend that is a girl says "you are?" and she is like yep I'm having one?!  Who tells a complete stranger you are preggers when your friends you are with don't even know.  So then I would have swore she was dating or "with" the guy in their group so naturally I assume he is the father.  Then she says - when is his birthday referring to G and I say oh in a few weeks (cause I don't want to give her any information about me) and then she tells me her birthday and then says and the baby's daddy's birthday is September 17th...so clearly the dude with her is not the baby's daddy...which is probably good because he didn't know she was pregnant either and that would have been quite the way to find out you were going to be a dad...

Wow - it was awkward...I'm just glad I got George back...yikes

Anyway, besides that moment it was all around an enjoyable time.
George and Daddy watching the bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment